Saturday, March 3, 2012

Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians

Lunch Lady and the League of the Librarians
By:  Jarrett J. Krosoczka

Published by:  Alfred A. Knopf


Copyright 2009
Graphic Novel
                                              Lunch Lady and the League of the Librarians

     This is a graphic novel about two lunch ladies and three students that work to stop the league of librarians from dominating the world, starting with the destruction of all video games. It is a fast read, but in my opinion, not a very good one. When I decided to read this book as my graphic novel, I was hoping that it would be a little funny and full of more action. In my reading I found it to be very "watered down". For this reason, I think that it would be a book that young readers, between the ages of six and nine. The only reason I would suggest it for children older than this, would be because there are large words in it that young readers may not understand.
     Personally, I did not enjoy this book mostly because, I did not like the plot of the book. Although I did like the graphics, they were in black, white, and yellow. The graphics did not aid in making my read more enjoyable. The reason I would not share this book with my students is because it has a negative connotation about librarians. In the book, the librarians only want students to read and do nothing else. The make them evil. I think this would interest students who do not like to read, however I do not think that it would make them like reading and librarians more than they do already.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Becky,

    I am so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy my book. I'm writing, not to defend my book, but to let you know that I am very sorry that that you were offended by the book. It was by no means my intention to put librarians down. In the LUNCH LADY series, the various adults in the students' lives are up to no good—even the children's book author.

    I am aware that librarians do so much more than foster a love of reading. The book in general was meant as a cheeky love letter to librarians. I count many librarians as dear friends and am very cognizant of the good work that all librarians do. I am constantly volunteering and raising funds for the libraries in my local area.

    I by no means meant to insult your profession.

    If LEAGUE OF LIBRARIANS was the first book in the series for you to pick up, I do hope that you would consider giving the other books in the series a read to see that I am sending up all of the fixtures of childhood.

    My very best of wishes,
    Jarrett J. Krosoczka

    ReplyDelete