Sunday, March 11, 2012

Esperanza Rising

Esperanza Rising
By:  Pam Munoz Ryan
Scholastic Incoperated
Copyright 2000

                                                                   Esperanza Rising

     When I think about California the first thing I think of is the Hollywood lifestyle and surfing. I never think about California in the 1920s and 1930s. Esperanza Rising is about Mexican labor workers for California during this time. What I really liked about this book was that the main character, Esperanza, was very easy to relate to. As Esperanza tells of her struggles transitioning from living a wealthy lifestyle in Mexico to a laborer's lifestyle in the United States, she speaks with sincere honesty. I enjoyed her snappy and "big headed" comments she made throughout the book, because that is what a  child in real life would do. Not only was I able to connect with the character through her realistic image, but I also found a place for her in my heart right as the begins with Esperanza's father being murdered.
     I would recommend my students to read this book. I think that it would be a great way to begin discussing immigration and immigration issues that are currently going on in the United States and that it would help students to realize how much of their lives they take for granted everyday. It could turn into an interesting discussion to see what my students would do if they were thrown into a situation similar to Esperanza's.

No comments:

Post a Comment