Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Once I Ate a Pie

Once I Ate a Pie
By:  Patricia MacLachlan & Emily MacLachlan Charest
Illustrated by:  Katy Schneider
Harper Collins Publishers
Copyright 2006
Poetry Genre Books

                                                                      Once I Ate a Pie

     I love dogs and therefore I really loved this book. It is a great was to show that every dog is unique, just like every child. For this reason, I think this book would be great to read to young children and discuss how every individual, dog or human, is unique.It is written in poetry where each of the 14 dogs describe themselves. The poems are written in a unique way. For example, if the word "tall" is used, the author used a font that made that word tall. 
     Once I Ate a Pie made me laugh a little, because it is easy to picture the "types" of dogs doing what they talk about doing. One example would be ringing a bell to tell the humans they have to go to the bathroom and waiting to ring it until he knows they are asleep. The illustrations of the dogs describe their personalities. I like that Schneider uses different "types" of dogs because I can picture children reading the book and picking out which ones they think are the cutest.

No comments:

Post a Comment