Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Balloons Over Broadway

Balloons Over Broadway
By:  Melissa Sweet
Published by:  Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Picture Books

                                                             Balloons Over Broadway

      This book caught my attention because Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the year and I always watch the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade. The book did, in fact, live up to my expectations. I really liked that it gave a lot of information that was very new to me.
     I did not recognize this author/illustrator but I was very impressed how well this book was done. Not only was the book/information excellent, but the illustrations were very creative and captivating. I loved that they were a mix of collages and pencil drawings. This helped keep my attention. The collages captivated me into Tony Sarg's (the creator of the Macy's Parade) creativity with his balloons and marionette dolls.
     Balloons Over Broadway is a book that I would definitely like to have in my library. It would help build reading skills because the more challenging and important words are written in a different text. For example, some are in larger font size and some are italicize. I also think that if I was interested in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as a child, others may be as well. I think it would be cool to read this story to the students before they go on Thanksgiving break. Then when they watch the parade they will know some facts about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment