Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Chinatown

My Chinatown
By:  Kam Mak
Harper Collins Publishers
Copyright 2002
Poetry Genre Book

                                                                     My Chinatown

     Kam Mak did amazing illustratons for My Chinatown. When I first looked through illustrations, I thought they were photographs. They are so detailed. Some pictures, like the cover, really describe the importance of intricacy within the Chinese culture and how they continue to celebrate it in America. I love the way this book was written. The poetry is broken down for the entire year, by seasons.
     I think this is important because readers, like myself, who are not familiar with the Chinese culture, can identify and imagine more clearly what it must be like to grow up in that culture, especially since America is so ethnically divers. This book is a great way to celebrate ethnic diversity. I would use this book to help celebrate the Chinese New Year, because it describe the life a young, Chinese boy. I live on the international floor of my residence hall and was hoping this book would give me a deeper insight to the Chinese culture. This book does not go deep into the culture. I would not use this book to teach the culture, but it is a great way to introduce a ethnic unit to young students.

No comments:

Post a Comment