Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Leon's Story


Leon’s Story
By:  Leon Walter Tillage
Collage Art by:  Susan L. Roth
Sunburst Books

                                                                        Leon's Story


     This book has, without a doubt, been my favorite African American book I have read in my life so far. It is a fast read; however the emotion it stirred in me is long lasting. What I really liked most about this book is that it is an autobiography about growing up in the 1930s through the 1950s as an African American boy. Reading about slavery has always been hard for me to connect with because it seems so long ago.           
     Hearing what segregation was like from someone who has lived through it really makes a difference. Leon Tillage makes the story sound so personal as he begins talking about his family and childhood memories. Some of his memories I can even relate too. For example, I like to go to the movies for fun and I also like the days before and after Christmas best. These memories make me feel like I could be Leon’s friend.
     After hearing the pleasant memories, Leon comes in with the deep and emotional stories. I got very emotional hearing about his father and literally had my jaw open the entire time I read about the dog attack. Hearing stories like these, from the words of someone who experienced it first hand, made segregation more realistic to me. I will absolutely never forget this book. It is one that I will read to my older students when discussing segregation. Hopefully they will feel the connection and emotion I experienced during the reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment